Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Leaky car sump plug issues....

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 19:26:16 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

jim wrote:
vw sump plug slow drippy leak....

I believe these vw plugs seal on the thread rather than the
"crushable/copper washer against the sump body" style....

This one drips even with a new sump plug.

Much goggling warns of stripping threads in sump body through
overtightening and dropped/damaged sump plugs wearing the
threads of the sump and causing the leaks...

Which is why I don't do as Mr Pounder suggests and change the oil myself.

Any tried & tested solutions to this?

Ultimately a new sump is indicated, but until then anything worth
trying?

TIA

Try PTFE tape as a seal?

--
Condoms aren't completely safe. A friend of mine was wearing one and got hit by a bus.