Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Paint has leaked behind glazing in front door

In article , Andrew
wrote:
On 14/12/2016 07:13, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 13:44:03 UTC, Lauren Kilpatrick wrote:
Please help! Last week we had a new front door fitted by someone we
found through checkatrade. The door came glazed but untreated. He
primed and then gloss painted for us. It was dark when he left and it
looked ok. However, on looking at it in dalylight, I can now see that
whilst he used tape around the edges, nonetheless both the primer and
gloss red paint have got in behind the glass (I.e. Between the two
pains of glass) and it looks terrible. Completely ruins the affect as
it looks shoddy and messy. I am absolutely gutted at having spent the
money on materials and the labour to end up with a poor quality job
that seemingly we can't do anything about. Any advice as to possible
solutions would be gratefully received. I can only think of eventually
having the door reglazed, or buying sticky backed frosted glass effect
stickers to put over the pains but don't really want to do this as it
defeats the point in going for totally clear glazing in the first
place and is likely to look cheap. No idea what it would cost to
reglaze the door - I suspect more than the door itself is worth.
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/83
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/84 http://www.homeownershub.com/img/85

Clearly the double glazed units haven't been properly sealed when they
were installed in the door. They should have been bedded into putty
/some equivalent when they were fitted.

Don't be such an idiot harry. Sealed Double glazed units must *never* be
bedded with putty in timber frames. That will cause them to fail very
quickly, *and* the frame to rot as many buyers of new houses discovered
within a few years of moving in, before the GGF and NHBC got a grip on
the problem.

"Never" is a bit strong. In this house are still two Magnet Joinery frames
which were glazed with DG units in 1975 - by the previos owner's builder.

--
IT Administrator
London Members' Centre