Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Charles vac is dead

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 12:07:56 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 14/12/2016 21:36, Murmansk wrote:
My Numatic Charles wet and dry vac, which hasn't had much use,

suddenly stopped working today and gave off a burning smell.
Now when I operate the switch it'll run for about a quarter of a second.

I've ordered another, one but I wondered what might have caused it -

I though they lasted for years, must be unlucky.

My Wickes equivalent (Earlex) did the same. The motor is very powerful
and needs a lot of cooling. The cooling fan on the Earlex (which may be
the same bought-in motor that numatic use) is attached by a nut that
comes loose so the cooling fan doesn't spin. The motor overheats and
fries its internal wiring in an instant.

LUckily Earlex sell complete motor/top housing assemblies which cost me
£30 (in 2011).

You can easily get Numatic spares too. Buying a new one seems a bit over
the top (especially in a DIY group!)

I asked if it was that or the pump, because they have a habit of jamming
but are easily freed up.