Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Perhaps this is the real fusion breakthrough...

On 15/12/16 04:11, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 15 December 2016 03:12:19 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
That prompted the desperate press release by a rival research outfit...

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NN...a-1412164.html

Imagine how many nuclear fusion researchers would lose their jobs if
they ever DID achieve a working reactor...

70 seconds after 60 years of ZETA research is amazing. We might make 5 minutes by 2020 at this rate.

You are an optimist!

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NN...t-2111164.html

"First plasma was originally scheduled for 2018 with the start of
deuterium-tritium operation set for 2026. However, in July 2010 the Iter
Council agreed a new schedule under which first plasma is slated for
November 2019, with deuterium-tritium operation starting in March 2027."

Translation: "We've had a great idea! With careful thought, we can keep
our research funding going a little longer. All we have to do is add a
few months now and again. "

Or you can go straight to the source at http://www.iter.org/mag/9/65
"But all of the incremental steps that must be achieved are now drawn
out through to the machine's First Plasma€”a milestone in itself, but
also the beginning of an experimental campaign that will last at least
20 years."

Well, research that will last /at least/ 20 years. Nothing like an
open-ended research project to generate (pun intended) continuous funds.
I wonder how they came up with 20 years in the first place? Why not 15
or 25?

--

Jeff