Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Charles vac is dead

wrote
Murmansk wrote

My Numatic Charles wet and dry vac, which hasn't
had much use, suddenly stopped working today
and gave off a burning smell. Now when I operate
the switch it'll run for about a quarter of a second.

I've ordered another, one but I wondered what might have
caused it - I though they lasted for years, must be unlucky.

I'd find out before binning it. It may be
something as simple as a switch - probably is.

Unlikely a switch failure would produce that symptom of
running for a quarter of a second every time its switched on.

More likely something else has failed and its shutting down
auto every time its turned on because of that other failure.