Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default LED lighting

On 13/12/2016 17:18, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 16:54:56 +0000, Martin Brown

Early LEDs tended to exaggerate the light output too. They seem to be a
bit better now - but still don't equate to the sort of tungsten most used
before.

They do! I got caught out by my first "60W" equivalent LED bulb being
way too bright for the small bathroom that I bought it for.

In fact they are slightly brighter than UK 240v incandescents because
their set point is calibrated against thicker brighter US 120v coiled
coil filaments which are more efficient than UK ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incand...haracteristics

The term 'coiled coil' always amused me. Is there such a thing as an
non-coiled coil?

Coiled coil in this sense means that the first coil is itself then
coiled again. Essentially a second level fractal coil curve.

It allows them to control tungsten losses due to evaporation and makes
the hotter filament more thermally efficient at making light.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown