Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plain bearing example

On 2016-12-14, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 13 Dec 2016 03:24:31 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-12-09, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 9 Dec 2016 04:42:07 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

OBTW -- The MGB was the same, as I put an 1800 CC MGB engine
in my 1622 CC MGA 1600 Mark II.

Ricky Racer, wot? I'll bet that pepped it up a bit.

It did give it some pep. Surprised a number of people at
stoplights and such. :-) Also, while a friend had that engine in *his*
MGA, he took it in to get a professional tuneup, and the performance
surprised the fellow who did the work. He didn't spot the fact that the
engine was not original.

Um, how could he do a tune-up on an engine without knowing what engine
it was? Or had he test-driven it before the tune-up? That's
something I always did, but most other mechanics I knew at the
dealerships seldom did.

This was some place which specialized in tuning Ferraris and the
like, and probably did not see too many MGAs. The carbs and air
cleaners on it were from the 1622 CC MGA engine to make them fit. IIRC
the coolant pump was also from the MGA engine, so it looked pretty
similar. The rear mounting plate was also from the MGA. So all told,
it looked pretty much like an MGA engine. Perhaps tweaking the needles
in the carbs would have made a difference.

[ ... ]

At that time, I had only a very tiny bottle of Molly grease,
which I used for hand tapping with spiral point (gun) taps.

Yeah, it wasn't extremely available when I started that. Now,
searching for the long grain grease is like finding a dinosaur tooth.

It was given me by my employer in a little bottle about 1/2"
diameter -- from a big can of the stuff. (I had to occasionally climb
into awkward places and tap holes for cable clamps and the like, and I
broke fewer taps with that grease on hand. When I moved on to another
job, I kept that little bottle. :-)

Now I have bought a can of my own. :-)

I ran out a long time ago, but I haven't had the need for it in a long
time, so I haven't tried to find another tub of it.

The molly grease, or the long-string bearing grease? I was
talking about the Molly grease, and I needed it for re-lubing a
boring/facing head made by Gamet after having to use a lot of heat to
release some loctite holding the spindle adaptor on. (NTMB-30, FWIW).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail