Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 23:32:28 +0000 (UTC), Frank Baron
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 22:41:50 +0000, Stormin' Norman advised:

I live in a warm environment which ensures the tire is more pliable
then when it is cold. When we dismount tires, we use soapy warm water
and a lot of patience, perspiration and military "surplus" tire spoons
after the bead is broken. We also drop the tire onto concrete from
several feet high and we bounce it several times after we have removed
the valve core.

Thanks for the advice to warm and bounce the tire.
Someone else mentioned warming, so, since I only have the one spare wheel
with me now (it's not my SUV) I have it inside the living room warming up.

I will bounce it and try again, but I wasn't able to buy the bead breaker
tool from HF today (I'll do it tomorrow). I am hoping to get the SUV to
work on tomorrow night if I can have it in my garage for an hour to change
the four other tires (I have to move the spare too so I'll be dismounting
and mounting a total of five tires even though she only bought four).

We don't do it often enough to justify owning one of the larger,
pneumatic or hydraulic units.

I agree with you.
An air-operated unit is overkill.
It's like having an alignment rack, which is overkill for home use.

We also don't do this with car tires, I
much prefer Costco or Discount Tire for the road vehicles.

Costco only sells something like two brands, and they take forever to do
the tires, but they do give you free stuff like nitrogen and rotations
although the free rotation is worthless because you can rotate at home in
far less time than it takes at Costco.

No
scratching of wheels and they can dynamically balance the tires /
wheels.

Did you see the wheels I'm working on?
http://i.cubeupload.com/LqS6N4.jpg

Scratching isn't a problem.

I have taken tires and rims to Costco and asked them to dismount and
mount other tires and they were happy to do it without me having
purchased the tires from them.

One time I gave the guy at the counter a case of St. Pauli Girl beer
and they did it all for free......