Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 22:00:38 +0000 (UTC), Frank Baron
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 20:25:01 +0000, Stormin' Norman advised:

Which bead breaker do you use?

Is it this one?
http://i.cubeupload.com/ics54M.jpg

Yes, except the base is painted orange, I assume it is the older
version.

Thanks for that information.

Why does your experience totally clash with that of
though?

I suspect Clare has never actually changed a tire using these tools where
you have?

Attempting to pit one persons experience against another's is a good
way to stir up trouble. I urge you to refrain from such questions.

I live in a warm environment which ensures the tire is more pliable
then when it is cold. When we dismount tires, we use soapy warm water
and a lot of patience, perspiration and military "surplus" tire spoons
after the bead is broken. We also drop the tire onto concrete from
several feet high and we bounce it several times after we have removed
the valve core.

We don't do it often enough to justify owning one of the larger,
pneumatic or hydraulic units. We also don't do this with car tires, I
much prefer Costco or Discount Tire for the road vehicles. No
scratching of wheels and they can dynamically balance the tires /
wheels.