Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 19:40:44 +0000 (UTC), Frank Baron
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:07:38 -0500, advised:

If you want instructions, look at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7yz9twasEU
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUas5LIY_ok

Thanks for those links.

Watching this video first, it's actually hilarious in one way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUas5LIY_ok

He's using an entirely different model tool from HF (it has a completely
different geometry than the one I have) and he's doing a brand new 14-inch
passenger-car tire which even he said in the video is super easy.

It's the same piece of scrap you have but he modified it. It has the
exact same bead breaker you have. Listen to what the man has to say -
HE KNOWS HOW TO USE THE PIECE OF JUNK. He also told you and showed you
exactly what he welded.

In addition, he welded stuff onto his tire changer (he didn't say exactly
what he welded though) and his tire changer is totally different than mine
in that he doesn't have those two weak arms that bent on mine.

It is the EXACT machine you have and he showed exactly what he did.
All you can do is find fault with what he was showing you instead of
listening and learning.
http://i.cubeupload.com/LqS6N4.jpg

His has a steel tube (which will certainly be stronger).

He does NOT have a steel tube - it is EXACTLY what you have.

But the non-realistic part of his video was that he used a brand new tire!

So all he did was press down like he was pressing his finger into butter,
and the bead broke (in fact, the bead was already broken because there was
absolutely no popping sound). He even stepped on the rest of the tire to
get the rest of the bead, which means that he was just going through the
motions.

If he had your tire it would have done almost exactly the same. I've
chanked hundreds - likely thousands of tires - and what he showed was
VERY representative of what you would find - particularly on alloy
rims (his was steel)

It's fine that he was just going through the motions, but I already knew
all the motions.

As long as you are convinced you already know it all, you will NEVER
learn.

But he also bolted his HF tool to concrete (his bolt hole dimensions are
wrong though since nothing larger than 3/8ths will fit in the pre-drilled
holes of the tool legs).

So he's smarter than the average jackass and drilled the holes out to
take a bigger bolt, and also welded the otherwise flimsy arms to the
base of the changer pedestal, He's smarter than you - get used to it.
He used the same threaded anchors that I did, so that's nice to know.
And, he didn't mention it, but you can see that he stacked a ****load of
washers under the bolt head, which means he had the same problem that I
have which is you need 2-3/4-inch long bolts, but you can only easily get
2-1/2 or 3-inch bolts (he probably used the 3-inch bolts).

So, it was a useful video, but not the same model tire changer as I have,
and, his test case was so easy that it simply showed what we already know
which is you press down on the bar with the bead shovel in the bead.

He does another tire at time 937 but it's just as easy but at least we
"hear" the pop of the bead, which means this bead was actually seated:
https://youtu.be/bUas5LIY_ok?t=937

The video is good for "instructions" for going through the motions, but
it's not useful when there is a problem breaking the bead since the bead
came off like it was buttered.

The guy blows up a tire at time 1408, which is certainly not standard
procedure!

What's not standard procedure about the way he blew up the tire at
14:08???
https://youtu.be/bUas5LIY_ok?t=1408

The way he did it at the end is a bit of a "redneck" way.