Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default 'Double locking' a DG front door?

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 17:20:22 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes

When locking the door you first raise (and release) the handle
(either) that (just) engages the shoot bolts, but also clearing the
path for the cylinder tang to turn and (with two revolutions of the
key), double lock the deadbolt, and restrict the shoot bolts from
being released.

So, if you unlock the deadbolt and carry on turning the key past the
two turns till it stops, the next (maybe) 20 degrees would release the
latch. If you were / could to keep the key in that final position and
*then* use the handle to release the shoot bolts, I'm wondering if
that would keep the load off the latch or if it should, if the top and
bottom shoot bolt plates weren't worn to the point where they weren't
taking the load off the latch ... ?

I think the effort involved in moving the latch with the key is going to
be too much for Angela so I'll ask the installers to change it.

I'll be interested to hear what they do.

Don't want them on site at the moment as there was a conflict over
window sizing which led to the carpenters cladding being ripped off!

Great. ;-(

Builder wasn't going to do the job without payment and the glaziers were
adamant that the openings were measured accurately.

In an effort to avoid such issues when the DG Co were making new
frames for the whole house, including the bits that hadn't been built
at that point. I had the carpenters build substantial (4x2 and X
braced) window formers that the builders could build round and the DG
Co could measure. I still ended up with capping strips on the top of
some of the frames but it was easier to do that than cut the (uPVC)
frames down. ;-)

To move on, I did
the job myself. All part of being clerk of works:-(

If a jobs worth doing ... ?

p.s. I see Turnpike is still working. ;-)

The old ones are best.

Well, till they became totally unsupported ... ;-)

Anyway I have 3 pages of d-i-y posts pinned for
future reference and don't want to consider transferring that lot to T
Bird.

Then don't? Keep TP running for Usenet and use TB for mail then at
least you will be half way prepared for when TP finally dies. ;-)

The last I remember we couldn't actually get TB to connect to your ISP
mail host (but we were unsure if it was enabled or what their settings
needed to be)?

Cheers, T i m