Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Baron Frank Baron is offline

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:07:38 -0500, advised:

If you want instructions, look at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7yz9twasEU
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUas5LIY_ok

I should be clear that I already know how to go through the motions.
The problem is what to do when the bead won't break.

In that first video above the guy used the same tool that I had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7yz9twasEU

He mounted the tire changer on 2x3s which was a different way of doing it,
and he did a tougher tire than the rest of the videos used.

He used a stronger-ply sidewall, and said that the bead was "really really
difficult" to break off the wheel. He also bent his bead breaker bar like I
did. So, the tool is really too weak for a formidable SUV tire.

He said "car tires would be way easier" than his truck tires that he did.
He found putting the tires on was easier than was breaking the bead of the
truck (SUV) tires.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the tool is stressed with SUV tires, and that my
technique is sound. I just have to find another way to break the SUV tires
so I'll probably pick up a single-purpose bead breaker at HF this week.