Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default [ot] phone chargers

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 12 December 2016 13:33:52 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I bought an unbranded wall-wart to usb output charger from CPC,
hoping
to use it to charge my mobile phone or tablet (both are Samsung).
When
I connect either device using the original Samsung cable, neither
device charges.

Why is this not working? I read a post here some months ago saying
that the PSU and the device communicate (presumably over the data
wires) and presumably the phone tells the charger what current it
will
accept?

Could it be that the charger I have is not that sophisticated and is
not talking to the phone or does Samsung employ some way of checking
whether the supply is a Samsung charger - I'm not an Apple man but I
think Apple do the same?

I have a couple of Samsung devices and both charge just fine from a non
Samsung PS. Indeed I bought a mains socket with built in USB charger
outlets (to make things neater than wall warts) and that charges
everything I have that uses this system.

Are you sure your new charger produces enough current?

I think that's the point. With my wife's Nokia phone, if you plug it
into
a low current charger, a mesage appears on the screen to that effect.

If I plug my ipad air 2 into an old iphone charger (iphone4) the ipad
comes on
then switches off in a one second cycle something I wouldn't have expected
as
on another old charger it just doesn't charge (battery indicator doesn't
go green).

Most likely that one happens like that because it trys to take the
current it wants from the iphone4 charger and that sags badly
voltage wise when it does that.

There have been sonme instances of the lead causing charguing
problems but I haven't come uop against that one yet.