Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Garage door torsion spring retention.

Chris B wrote:
The torsion spring on my garage door transmits load to the door through
a large threaded "collar" end fitting similar to those shown on this
google image search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gara...w=1908&bih=890

However unless it is broken, there seems to be no positive retention of
the spring on the collar.

It looks pretty much like this when assembled
https://www.movingupgaragedoors.com/.../wire_size.jpg

With no tension on, the spring can be easily threaded on like a nut on a
bolt. The spring is then tensioned up and locked by rotating the other
end. The door works fine for several years until the spring works itself
loose, until it comes off the end fitting (With I expect a large bang
but I have not been around to hear it) and opening the garage door is
dead weight with no spring assist.

Now the door worked fine for 20+ years until the first failure of this
type, but having reassembled and re-tensioned it about 5 years ago it
has now failed again in exactly the same manner.

Bearing in mind how nerve racking re-tensioning the garage door spring
is, I would like to extend the period between failures back to something
like 20 years.

Does anyone have any tips/ideas as to what I could do to stop the spring
slowly working itself off the end fitting? Now is the time to do it as
the spring is un-tensioned and easy to manipulate :-)

Unless of course this is the way garage door mechanisms wear out and it
is time for a new door. (Parts other than cables for this door seem to
be unavailable).

A good smear of one of the stronger threadlock compounds maybe?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls