Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do they work?

whisky-dave wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

the pic shows a four pin connector. Which would allow three
different colour LEDs to be driven in any way you can think of.

That seems to be the type with GND and a separate power to all the R/G/B
in parallel, i.e. no individual control of LEDs, but with PWM you can
drive the whole string to any colour.

Yes I know and that was brought last year.
I can't think of why they don;t multiplex the control signals with the power, simialtr to the way old mians wireless intercomms work.

Some of the new ones available this year seem to do just that, just a
GND and +5V rail, with colour data sent as brief pulses to 0V on the 5V
rail.