Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Should a standard 'yale' type lock need to be turned back toextract the key?

On 12/13/2016 9:41 AM, Chris Green wrote:
My daughter's house has a standard 'yale' type lock on the side door,
one that slams shut and opens with an ordinary 'yale' key.

When the key has been turned far enough to open the door it needs to
go a *long* way back to extract the key, it's not just back to the
point at which the latch is released, it's 180 degrees or more.

Is this normal or has it been installed wrong somehow? I don't
remember having to 'unwind' other keys so much to get them out.

This is fairly normal behaviour on some eurolocks on PVC or Aluminium
doors and relates to the design of the bolts and latches.

Shouldn't happen with a Yale nightlatch on a wooden door.

Sounds like you have a hybrid?