Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Should a standard 'yale' type lock need to be turned back to extract the key?

jim k wrote:
Chris Green Wrote in message:
My daughter's house has a standard 'yale' type lock on the side door,
one that slams shut and opens with an ordinary 'yale' key.

When the key has been turned far enough to open the door it needs to
go a *long* way back to extract the key, it's not just back to the
point at which the latch is released, it's 180 degrees or more.

Is this normal or has it been installed wrong somehow? I don't
remember having to 'unwind' other keys so much to get them out.

Sounds wrong.
Sounds somehow like a deadlocking procedure is in use all the
time, rather than as & when required.

Yes, that's possible, it feels like having to wind the bolt out but
isn't actually doing anything. No space in the handle/door bit anyway
for a long withdrawal.

Google manufacturer & download instructions?

Good idea, it's not that old, thanks.

--
Chris Green
ยท