Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] mhooker32@gmail.com is offline

Default Alternator on DD-3-53 does not charge at idle

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 9:12:56 PM UTC-5, Michael Terrell wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 9:52:29 PM UTC-5, Michael Terrell wrote:

I had a 'Barney Fife' type tell me to shut off the GTO in the middle
of the road, because the lights were dim. I told him that I wouldn't be
able to restart the engine, if I did. I told him that I had just bought
a new regulator to repair it, and that I was only 15 feet from my driveway.

The stupid #$%^&* pulled his gun on me and screamed that he was going
to kill me, if I moved the car.

You needn't have worried... Deputy Fife only carries one round and he keeps that in his shirt pocket.

This was before he shot himself in the foot, and Andy imposed that rule.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

would have to know what type of alternator it is. many with an internal regulator need a positive voltage thru a resistor to charge at an idle. on many units, the resistor was the bulb in the idiot lite on the dash. units with gages had a resistor wired in. i dont recall the specs on the resistor. without that connection, there would be no charge at idle. the regulator would kick in at around 2000 rpm and charge. it would then charge fine at an idle , until the regulator cut out. with that load thru a bulb or resistor, the regulator doesnt need 2000 rpm to cut in.