Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 00:35:28 +0000 (UTC), Frank Baron
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:19:51 -0600, Terry Coombs advised:

Move the top of the vertical piece (with the shoe on the bottom) closer to
the pivot on the horizontal arm . You want it to push out as well as down .

I appreciate that you're staying on topic and trying to answer the question
of how to break the bead using the two bead breaker tools I pictured (and I
appreciate that you didn't give me useless redneck method jokes).

I assume you're talking about the red tire breaker (and not the black one),
but I'm not sure what you mean by "moving the top of the vertical piece".

Are you saying that the red double-arm vertical element should be as
straight up and down as possible when I'm pressing down on the red lever
handle (that is out of the picture at top)?
http://i.cubeupload.com/Qcg2YR.jpg

I don't know if I can do that because the tire can get no closer to the
vertical red tube as it is now since it *touches* the vertical red tube.

Or, do you want me to move the tire in the opposite direction, which is
*away* from the vertical tube?

I appreciate your advice - but I'm just trying to understand it because we
have a terminology issue where I don't know the names for the parts of that
red bead breaker contraption.

Move the breaker shoe part in to the first hole on the handle so
the shoe pushes out and down when you lean on the handle - as shown in
the 'tubes I referenced. The inner part of the rim needs to be against
the stop on the foot of the changer.