Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM[_4_] GMM[_4_] is offline

Default Pin and strap hinge

On 11/12/2016 21:29, Capitol wrote:
GMM wrote:
My covered sideway has a very old door mounted on a pin and strap hinge.
Somewhere over the decades/centuries the bottom fixing has worn to give
significant play (a mm or 2 around the pin), leading to the door
dropping. It doesn't look like the strap has opened, so I guess the
problem is just wear, possibly on both parts.
A previous owner clearly bodged this by wrapping some fairly stiff
plastic around the pin but this has now gone brittle and worked its way
out, with the result that the tongue of the yale-type lock doesn't
engage. Although lifting the door on closing it deals with this, I seem
to be the only person who can do this (!)
For the moment, I've repositioned the lock keep to make it work, but
this will get progressively worse.
I've scoured all the sources I can find for a similar hinge but no joy,
so I'm wondering what my options are. I could repeat the previous bodge,
if I could think of a tough enough plastic strip, but I haven't had the
necessary inspiration yet.
I suspect it would be simpler to just re-jig the frame and use
conventional hinges than to do any over-elaborate metal work, but I
wonder if anyone has any bright ideas for fixing this.

Cheers

Put a piece of copper pipng around the pin. You may have to do a bit
of cutting and bending fo get the correct fit.

Now that's the answer that had been eluding me!
The pin is about 20mm, so a piece of 22mm pipe might just be the right
fit, or at least close enough to only require a slit along the length,
and should be close enough in thickness (fingers crossed!)
Now, if I can only find a bit on my collection of old plumbing parts, I
might have a chance of sorting it tomorrow.

Many thanks