Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default DIY - soil improvement project

On 12/12/2016 08:48, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 21:41:46 +0000, Vir Campestris
I can beat that. Back in 1939 they put one in my garden!

It says

Boulder Clay )
? UCk ) ... ... 70 70

Which is not what I'd call a full written description.

UCk is apparently

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?pub=UCK

(Obsolete, but I presumably not back then)

Does this mean it was clay all the way, or there was a little bit then
the chalk?

There is a big of galvanised _something_ under one of the shrubs. I
wonder if that could be it? I keep meaning to dig it up...

Andy

AIUI:
UC = Upper Cretaceous, i.e. upper chalk deposits
K or k is the conventional abbreviation, from the German kreidezeit,
literally meaning 'chalk time' (as in K-T boundary, the division
between the Cretaceous and Tertiary geologic periods).

Boulder clay is deposited from melting glaciers ice-sheets etc. As TNP
said earlier in this thread, it's ground up rock (but not all clay is
simply that). It's basically a surface deposit covering the underlying
rocks. Thicknesses can vary widely from a few feet to many tens, even
hundreds of feet.

We have a 'galvanised something' in our garden buried under a couple
of inches of soil. It's a corrugated sheet that is partly concreted
over and covers a 5ft cubed soak-away taking rainwater off the roof.

So it's chalk based clay? Fits. There is the odd flint in it.

The galvanised thingy

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/Photo0014_zpsaf14fea4.jpg

There's something in it

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Number774/Photo0013_zpscb681fce.jpg
that feels as if it's stuck in rubber. Probably not a soakaway... might
be the well cap. There was one somewhere once.

Andy