Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lap top battery Longevity

On Monday, 12 December 2016 16:45:11 UTC, bm wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 20:16:17 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 13:19:36 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
john west wrote:
There's a lot of information about that if you keep a Laptop battery
charged between only 80% full and only 40% full, it will be servicable
over the years for four times as long.

Other information I find says it is the charging and discharging that
wears the battery out.

The laptop i have (with a built in battery) is mainly used in one
room,
so it is easy to keep it plugged in *all the time* to mains
electricity.

Would it be better to prolong the life of the battery to keep it
plugged in all the time or to go for the 80% - 40% option. Thanks.

It depends on the charger in the laptop. I have an Acer laptop - not
the
cheapest they did - which cooks the battery if left in the machine. So
remove it when not needed. A better designed one wouldn't cause
problems.

Such as the (11 year old) Acer Aspire 3660 I've had on permanent
'charge' for the whole of its life to date which seems to still have
around 70% or so of its original battery capacity.

Is there much point in having that sort of setup. Surely it would have
been cheaper and better to have a desktop computer. If it never moves or
is never removed from its power.

Depends, a laptop has its own UPS.

and downs in that it can be stolen more easily and damaged more easily and is usually more expensive for a lower spec'd computer. I'm not sure people, buy laptops because they have build-in UPS.
I thought they were bought for protability.