Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default [ot] phone chargers

Well, I've never heard of smart chargers that seem to be just usb chargers.
The thing is will the phone charge from a pc usb port? I suspect not.
Luckily, my old banger of a phone, an owasys, seems to charge from my Eye
Glasses usb charger, so no sophistication there
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought an unbranded wall-wart to usb output charger from CPC, hoping
to use it to charge my mobile phone or tablet (both are Samsung). When
I connect either device using the original Samsung cable, neither
device charges.

Why is this not working? I read a post here some months ago saying
that the PSU and the device communicate (presumably over the data
wires) and presumably the phone tells the charger what current it will
accept?

Could it be that the charger I have is not that sophisticated and is
not talking to the phone or does Samsung employ some way of checking
whether the supply is a Samsung charger - I'm not an Apple man but I
think Apple do the same?

Would it work if I bought one of the charge only cables with red
plugs? Presumably they block the signaling on the data wires? Or would
it be cheaper to just buy a Samsung charger?

I thought the idea behind using usb charging was that any charger
could be sued for any device?

Thanks,
Stephen.