Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pin and strap hinge

On Monday, 12 December 2016 13:01:16 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 12/11/2016 6:07 PM, GMM wrote:
On 11/12/2016 17:20, Bob Minchin wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

All over actually. This has an offset pin set into the mortar, rather
than being on a plate, and I haven't been able to identify one with
anything like this geometry.
To be fair, it's bound to be over a century old.

I agree with all the previous suggestions about sleeving, indeed I have
just done something very similar although for an iron five bar gate. I
was lucky, I was able to do it with Glacier DU bushes, so it should
easily last the next couple of hundred years.

depleted uranium is probably not the ideal material for hinges.

But hey if it works.

NT

Worth saying that if you want a matching replacement for the offset pin,
a good blacksmith should be able to help you. Some might ask silly
money, others might not. An adequate replacement might not need a lot of
forging, it may be possible to weld a pin to some plate in order to fake
it.