Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Pin and strap hinge

On 12/11/2016 6:07 PM, GMM wrote:
On 11/12/2016 17:20, Bob Minchin wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

All over actually. This has an offset pin set into the mortar, rather
than being on a plate, and I haven't been able to identify one with
anything like this geometry.
To be fair, it's bound to be over a century old.

I agree with all the previous suggestions about sleeving, indeed I have
just done something very similar although for an iron five bar gate. I
was lucky, I was able to do it with Glacier DU bushes, so it should
easily last the next couple of hundred years.

Worth saying that if you want a matching replacement for the offset pin,
a good blacksmith should be able to help you. Some might ask silly
money, others might not. An adequate replacement might not need a lot of
forging, it may be possible to weld a pin to some plate in order to fake
it.