Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lap top battery Longevity

On Friday, 9 December 2016 21:18:27 UTC, Theo wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 9 December 2016 15:18:14 UTC, Davey wrote:
Next question: Which battery suppliers are good, and which are to be
avoided? Or should I buy a proper Samsung battery?

difficult Q considering the problems they are having with soem of their
exploding phones and washing machines catching fire. In theory gettign an
original battery from a trusted supplier would be the best bet.

Samsung is essentially a country. Just because one bit makes a bad product
doesn't mean all of it does. It's not like the phone and washing machine
departments are going to have anything in common, beyond senior management
and contributing to the same balance sheet.

And that might give you a clue.

Would you not sail in a Samsung
ship because they have a problem with exploding phones?

If the ship ran on batteries I might decide to gibe a samsung boat amiss and chgoose an iBoat.

Anyway, if you want it to last buy an original manufacturer battery.

That would be the safest option butt are you now saying that only one manufactuerer can make decnet working batteries ?

There's way too many junk batteries being churned out of China. The quality
of a battery is measured in the number of cycles it can do,

Which is, can do, is that a measure of what it can do, or a guesitmate of how many they hope it can do.

which you won't
find out until several years down the track.

or perhaps days.

A cheap battery (or a cheap
battery with an expensive price tag) might do 100-200 cycles before capacity
drops, when the OEM battery does 1000. This means you have to view all
aftermarket batteries with suspicion because you just can't tell.

That is a problem, which is why if you want to aviod such problems get the prodcuct from a relible source. If you want to risk ebay then go for it.

The last non-OEM battery I bought, they got rather fed up of me after the
third claim on the year's warranty...

I'd prefer a bettery I could use rather than a cheaper battery I'd have to keep sending back, in fact I;d be willingot pay more for a bettery in a laptop than I wopuld for one being posted back and forth :-)