Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Plain bearing example

wrote:
On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 7:00:10 PM UTC-5, Christopher Tidy
wrote:
Am Freitag, 9. Dezember 2016 23:41:14 UTC+1 schrieb
:

Every make you mentioned uses plain shell bearings. Very few
engines are built with roller crankshaft bearings today, and
those are, as far as I know, all small, high-performance
2-strokes. Even they may have switched; I haven't kept up.

Ed, do you know what metal is used for those plain shell bearings?
I'd be interested to know.

Thanks,

Chris

Jim gave a link to a bearing manufacturer or something a few posts up
the thread. It does a good job of telling what they're using today,
and why.

There are two basic kinds: two-layer (steel shell, silicon-aluminum
bearing face) and three-layer (high-performance, steel shell, several
other metals used in layers.) I've also heard of silver being used as
the top layer in racing engines -- extreme resistance to fatigue.

It's worth reading Jim's link.

There are also some using aluminum shells.

--
Steve W.