Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default Wiring Regs.

On 11/12/2016 20:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/12/2016 19:07, Larry wrote:

Just putting in a fused spur off the ring main - only 6 inches away from
existing double socket
Carefully removed plaster next to double socket - all clear.
Marked the position of new backbox for fused switch.
Drilled a honeycomb of holes where back box to go.
When I started chipping plaster out - I found that a diagonal 6mm
cable for the
cooker ran straight through where the box was to go.
I had actually drilled through the T&E - a perfect hole straight
through - it
had not tripped RCD or fuse.

Question: The cooker was recently wired in as part of a kitchen
upgrade : are
diagonal runs permitted under the relevant regs?

No, all concealed cable runs should be either inline with a visible
accessory, or within 150mm of corner or wall to ceiling transition.

See :

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lectric_cables

On a cooker, because the cooker switch must be placed a lateral distance
away from the stove, I used a dummy box with cover under the work-surface.

It seems that the dummy box wasn't required as the horizontal and
vertical zones were covered by the outlet in one case, and the switch in
the other.