Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default band saw belts

On 12/10/2016 3:02 PM, Leon wrote:

Another good example of misleading markings, and my pet peeve. Water
proof glue ratings. TiteBond III has always been sold with a water
proof rating. If you look up the water proof rating definition the word
water proof is only in the title. The detailed explanation of the water
proof rating only uses water resistant.

And to really drive home a point, when TBIII was first introduced a
magazine did a pretty extensive test on about 10 different wood glues.
The results revealed that Water Resistant TB2 was more water proof than
TBIII. IIRC today TB2 is now called water proof.

At the risk of wasting too many words for those on a word limit, I built
a compost bin outside a few years ago. Across the front I have 2x4's
hinged on one end, and glued in pegs on the other end. I used Titebond
III to glue in the pegs. I coated the top of the pegs with the glue
just to see what would happen, and keep water out of the peg holes.
Well, after about 3 years, the glue holding the pegs in came loose, the
coating on top also came loose, but did not dissolve. I gave the glue a
fail on that one. Fortunately, the pegs really didn't need the glue,
they are a tight fit.

I'm not sure I have heard of automotive strength either, more so
automotive quality and in particular regarding belts and adhesives.
Adhesives, in particular windshield adhesives, have to meet a specific
strength rating.

I understand what you meant. It was Kevin who wasted words and time
stating, and I quote:
************
"No, in general "industrial" is lower on the totem pole than
"automotive", with the latter being somewhat less than "military".
Automotive specs are, in general, much more rigorous than industrial."
************
This is just wrong, so I wasted words explaining it to him. Not to worry
however, I'm not close to running out of words. As far as you stating
automotive belts are higher quality than industrial, I find that
unusual, not necessarily wrong.

When I bought the belt for my jointer 10 years ago, I vaguely recall the
guy asking what I was using it for, and I'm pretty sure he had two
belts, one for cars, one for machinery. It was too long ago for me to
remember what he said, or what I bought. I could have used another
"link" as I got the belt a bit tight for my likes, which imo is a good
reason to buy a linked belt. I don't think the parts store sold them.

Military strength is synonymous with industrial strength, but cost 10
times more than industrial strength, and 20-200 times more than
non-industrial strength.

LOL, I think Military rated or strength is probably pretty high but
probably more of an indicator that the buyer, the government, is not
concerned with what it is going to spend.
Remember those military grade toilet seats? ;~)

Vaguely. Also the $20,000 hammers. The hammers I think were due to
balancing the books. Business worries about balancing books as money
has real meaning to them (not to mention the IRS). The military could
care less, so to balance the books, which are off by a few measly
millions, they just change the hammer expense to $20,000 each to get
things in line. Poof, books are balanced.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com