Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default band saw belts

On 12/10/2016 2:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/10/2016 10:03 AM, Jack wrote:

Good point. On the other hand, I'm thinking about how a grossly out of
balance fly cutter on my drill press does not make my DP vibrate
severely. Also thinking about off centered turnings on my lathe. It
takes a whole lot to get it vibrating severely or at all, far more than
a lowly v-belt could possibly deliver. I'm thinking a wheel on a car is
attached to springs that allow movement, unlike a stationary tool that
is designed not to move so much. At any rate a fly cutter is grossly out
of balance vs a v-belt, or a 1 oz tire weight. Does your drill press
severely vibrate with a fly cutter?

The farther the heavier spot is from the center of rotation the more the
vibration will be amplified.

I have not used a fly cutter at all. But concerning that if you upped
the rpm on the fly cutter the vibration would be more noticeable.

Absolutely.

But virtually all vibration disappeared when I replaced the two factory
belts with the link belts. And I might add that the vibration was not
much noticeable on the lower half of the speed range with the factory
belts.

Maybe that's it, I run my drill press at medium speed 99% of the time. I
slow it down only for the fly cutter as it seems unsafe at higher speeds
and I think I could set wood on fire at high speeds. Fly cutters turn my
safest tool into the most dangerous, imo.

I'm not sure I would trust my self with a variable speed at the touch of
a button DP like the NOVA. Yes, I once started my DP with the key in
the chuck... I also started my lathe with the key in the chuck, I think
I did that 2x, which is incredibly stupid. The lathe I attributed to old
age stupidness. The drill press I was young and in a hurry.

AND the link belts are intended to be used in a single direction so
I'm mot sure how that works on lathes with a reverse feature.

Good to know. The only belted tool I have that goes in reverse is my
shaper. If any tool vibrates it would be that one as it turns at high
speed. My lathe doesn't vibrate enough to notice even when turning an
off centered piece. The belt on my lathe is loose as well, so it will
slip if I jam something up. Not sure what impact a linked belt would
have on that?

I've done the nickle test on my table saw once because people here (you)
mentioned it, and it passed, which I thought it would. I think all my
tools would pass once up to speed. Start up I'd expect would drop the
nickle on most of my tools, but that's not a belt vibration issue.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com