Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lap top battery Longevity

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
It depends on the charger in the laptop. I have an Acer laptop - not the
cheapest they did - which cooks the battery if left in the machine. So I
remove it when not needed. A better designed one wouldn't cause
problems.

Such as the (11 year old) Acer Aspire 3660 I've had on permanent
'charge' for the whole of its life to date which seems to still have
around 70% or so of its original battery capacity.

The one on mine was knackered after not much more than a year. It's a
5536. Of course if you used the battery every day - perhaps what a laptop
is meant for - having it fully charged whenever possible might be
important. Only when I Googled did I find that the battery didn't like
being left in with the laptop PS left on 24/7. So I now remove the
replacment battery when not needed.

I figure the battery has lasted this long because of the more
'sympathetic' charge maintenance routine which avoids the "Float
Charging" concept, electing instead to charge up to the 4.2v per cell
level and then leave the battery to slowly decline in voltage over the
several weeks of mains powered use before giving it a 10 or 15 minute
topping up charge.

It's odd they changed the concept of battery charging.

My 5536 was also the one where the soldering to one of the processors
failed. Luckily, found a firm who fixed it for an affordable sum. And it
seems OK now - although I've now got a better one.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.