Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default How to avoid ice-clogged furnace air intake pipe?

On 12/10/2016 12:10 PM, wrote:
I'm in Minnesnowda and I have this problem too with my roof top pvc intake and exhaust. The exhaust has an 180 elbow which tends to blow right toward the straight up intake.

Toward the end of last winter I read this thread and got an 180 elbow to put on the intake, but just today (1st sub zero temp of the season) the intake frosted over again. I cleared and changed both elbows to face more directly east for exhaust and west for intake. But I'm wondering if the exhaust needs to have an elbow at all. Wouldn't it be better if it just blew straight up and let the wind take it from there?

The elbow probably keeps rain/crud from going down the pipe and damaging
the furnace or overworking the condensate pump.