Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default band saw belts

On 12/10/2016 10:46 AM, Jack wrote:
On 12/9/2016 8:10 PM, krw wrote:
On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 09:26:49 -0500, Jack wrote:

This is news to me. Generally "industrial" means high quality,
expensive, long lasting.

No, in general "industrial" is lower on the totem pole than
"automotive", with the latter being somewhat less than "military".
Automotive specs are, in general, much more rigorous than industrial.

That's news to me. To me, industrial describes something designed to
last a long time in continuous duty, IE; high strength, superior build
lots more money. The term is used often in advertising such as
"industrial strength" cleaner, so it means that to more than just me,
probably about everyone or the ad men would be using "automotive
strength" cleaner instead.

Misleading for sure. In most cases industrial is a relatively top
notch rating. My SS CS is the industrial version and readily apparent
when compared to the other SS TS's.

Another good example of misleading markings, and my pet peeve. Water
proof glue ratings. TiteBond III has always been sold with a water
proof rating. If you look up the water proof rating definition the word
water proof is only in the title. The detailed explanation of the water
proof rating only uses water resistant.

And to really drive home a point, when TBIII was first introduced a
magazine did a pretty extensive test on about 10 different wood glues.
The results revealed that Water Resistant TB2 was more water proof than
TBIII. IIRC today TB2 is now called water proof.

Automotive strength is a term I never heard uttered. Probably because
most people think auto's are designed to fail routinely, specifically
shortly after the 3 year warranty expires, you can expect frequent
failures until replacement.

I'm not sure I have heard of automotive strength either, more so
automotive quality and in particular regarding belts and adhesives.
Adhesives, in particular windshield adhesives, have to meet a specific
strength rating.

Military strength is synonymous with industrial strength, but cost 10
times more than industrial strength, and 20-200 times more than
non-industrial strength.

LOL, I think Military rated or strength is probably pretty high but
probably more of an indicator that the buyer, the government, is not
concerned with what it is going to spend.
Remember those military grade toilet seats? ;~)