Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What protection do crimped connections need (under floor)

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 10/12/2016 09:48, Chris Green wrote:
I had to cut some (mains lighting) wires to diagnose a light that
wasn't working. (Turned out to be a failed wire running up from a
switch in a conduit, can't replace for the moment).

So I need to reconnect a few wires in addition to making the new
connection so the light will work again. This is all under floor
wiring sitting between the joists. I'm going to crimp the wires back
together where I have cut them, what further protection do the
connections need? Would heatshrink over the whole thing be acceptable
or should it be in a box of some sort? A box would seem to be
overkill to me, might as well use a junction box instead of the
crimps.

Then use a maintenance free JB.

I reckon that good advice when someone asks about crimping.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.