Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default band saw belts

On 12/9/2016 12:11 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/9/2016 8:26 AM, Jack wrote:

Stick with what works. ;~) My old 1983 Craftsman contractors saw had
an industrial v-belt on it when I sold it about 16 years later and it
ran relatively smoothly.

Perhaps old belts run smoother than new belts? If my belts are anything,
they are old. On the other hand, I don't get how a belt weighing a few
ounces would make a 300-1000lb machine vibrate severely?

Think about how a 1 oz. wheel weight in the wrong place on a wheel makes
the whole car shake. Industrial belts are not as precision made and or
come in a variety of qualities, as automotive, they often have high
spots and wide spots. Automotive belts are pretty uniform in shape

Good point. On the other hand, I'm thinking about how a grossly out of
balance fly cutter on my drill press does not make my DP vibrate
severely. Also thinking about off centered turnings on my lathe. It
takes a whole lot to get it vibrating severely or at all, far more than
a lowly v-belt could possibly deliver. I'm thinking a wheel on a car is
attached to springs that allow movement, unlike a stationary tool that
is designed not to move so much. At any rate a fly cutter is grossly out
of balance vs a v-belt, or a 1 oz tire weight. Does your drill press
severely vibrate with a fly cutter?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com