Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What protection do crimped connections need (under floor)

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
I had to cut some (mains lighting) wires to diagnose a light that
wasn't working. (Turned out to be a failed wire running up from a
switch in a conduit, can't replace for the moment).

So I need to reconnect a few wires in addition to making the new
connection so the light will work again. This is all under floor
wiring sitting between the joists. I'm going to crimp the wires back
together where I have cut them, what further protection do the
connections need? Would heatshrink over the whole thing be acceptable
or should it be in a box of some sort? A box would seem to be
overkill to me, might as well use a junction box instead of the
crimps.

If the joint is accessible in terms of being under floor boards etc, a
junction box would be fine. Inaccessible (like plastered over) needs to be
crimped. Heatshrink over the lot will bring it back to nearer a non
jointed cable.

Personally, I'd use a JB if you can. Crimps vary a lot by make as do the
crimping tools. A perfect crimp may be better - but most are nothing like
perfect.

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.