Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_7_] krw[_7_] is offline

Default band saw belts

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 09:26:49 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 12/8/2016 11:16 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/8/2016 9:53 AM, Jack wrote:

Hmmm, didn't know link belts were less expensive. Seems stupid that
tool manufacturers would use more expensive, inferior v belts on their
expensive tools when they could be using cheap, but superior link belts.
Makes the mind boggle...

No, no, no, Automotive v-belts are not what you get with typical
machinery. Typically industrial v-belts are cheap, automotive v-belts
are typically 2~3 times more expensive but the quality is immediately
visable. Industrial are designed to work on less than desirable
applications. I was going to step up to either an automotive style or
link belt.

This is news to me. Generally "industrial" means high quality,
expensive, long lasting. I actually thought automotive fan belts were
cheap. I don't have a lot of experience buying belts for my tools, so
I'm certainly no expert. I bought a fan belt for my jointer once,
because I replaced the cabinet it sat on and needed a different length
belt. Had I known link belts were cheaper or even the same price, I
would have gone with that mainly because the length is adjustable. It's
a bit of a pain determining the correct length of a belt, and I'd assume
link belts would be the ticket.

No, in general "industrial" is lower on the totem pole than
"automotive", with the latter being somewhat less than "military".
Automotive specs are, in general, much more rigorous than industrial.

Stick with what works. ;~) My old 1983 Craftsman contractors saw had
an industrial v-belt on it when I sold it about 16 years later and it
ran relatively smoothly.

Perhaps old belts run smoother than new belts? If my belts are anything,
they are old. On the other hand, I don't get how a belt weighing a few
ounces would make a 300-1000lb machine vibrate severely?

Or take your old belt to an auto supply and ask for an automotive
quality belt. Some automotive belts have notches cut out of the inner
surface, perpendicular to the rotation of the belt, this allows the belt
to bend around tighter radius pulleys.

I've seen those type of belts, but don't have any. Belt wise, I've been
happy with what has been working forever. If I ever need to replace one,
I just might go with a link belt. I see Harbor Freight has a 5' one for
$26. I guess I could get two 2 1/2' belts out of that. I'm still
thinking an automotive fan belt would be cheaper, but not sure.