Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] edhuntress2@gmail.com is offline

Default Cutting oil on lathe bits

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 6:33:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 2:19:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Why don't you just **** on it, Dan, and see how that performs?

ATF is a low viscosity lubricant good for high pressures and has good antirust qualities. _Pretty much the properties needed for a cutting lubricant. And since it is used in millions of automobiles and sold almost everywhere. So it is inexpensive.

**** on the other hand is cheaper, but is not good as a high pressure lubricant. And it has no antirust properties. As a cutting fluid it would work for removing heat, but water is cheaper and is better as far as rust is concerned.

And why buy ATF for an experiment when I already have real cutting oil that works?

But since you have not used ATF as a cutting libricant, I contend you are not qualified to tell others that that it is not good. So keep using your real cutting oil, but why don't you quit saying it is not good for home shop machining. You admit you do not have any experience with it.

Dan

--
Ed Huntress

I know how experts have reacted when I mentioned that some home-shop machinists use it. It gets an eye-roll.

ATF is a very complex formulation, formulated to do just about the opposite of what you want in a cutting oil. It has to maintain band friction, and the high-pressure function is just about the opposite of what you want. You want high pressure tolerance with HIGH friction under high pressure, which is what you get, more or less, with sulfur and other additives. Otherwise, the tool can skate.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's almost certain that you've never done the instrumented tests on friction, tool load, tool wear, finish, and other tests that the real experts do.

So go use your rat-**** or whatever. It's your lathe. Just don't try to tell us that you have a clue.

--
Ed Huntress