Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default band saw belts

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 7:53:14 AM UTC-8, Jack wrote:
On 12/7/2016 3:37 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/7/2016 12:40 PM, Jack wrote:
On 12/6/2016 6:19 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 12/6/2016 1:21 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
anyone tried link belts on their band saw

keep hearing how much better link belts are for other applications
but have not seen mention of using link belts on a bandsaw

No, why would I want one? None of my belts are link belts, and all my
tools have been working great for 60 years.

I would have replaced my DP v-belts with automotive quality but the
link belts were less expensive.

Hmmm, didn't know link belts were less expensive. ...
I can see an advantage if you don't know what size belt you need, as I
understand length is adjustable.

It's hard to seek pricing on belts; the online merchants (who don't want returns) favor the
link belts because one size fits all, and the local auto parts outfits (who DO have good stock)
make little profit on the belts, and don't advertise their full stock.

The last belt I bought, was a third the price of the equivalent link-belt. It works
well, no vibration issue (but some of my pulleys, were BIG vibrators; helps to
ream them before installing).

For what it's worth, vibration will have different frequency for motor+drive pulley,
belt, and driven pulley+blade, so it IS possible to FFT the vibration and find the
guilty party. It just takes more work to digitize the rumble and strobe out the
moving parts' cycle rates.