Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default How much flourescent ballast humming is too much indicating replacement?

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 12:44:48 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Call me wild and crazy. I know what 6000k light looks like and if I
they are not as represented, I can send them back for free with
Amazon. Easy peasy. At my age, it is less than wise to wait for
anything.

Your response is in the middle of my comments, but I did use the words
"like the *light*" so I can understand why you answered the way you did.

My next paragraph (below) details the issue I was really talking about
when I said "like the light". It was related to lumens, not CCT.

(more on that below)

A few months ago I purchased a 4' LED shop light fixture for my garage and
it is a lot brighter than the standard florescent it replaced. Almost too
bright. I don't know if I would want my entire shop lit with the same
fixtures, thus my desire to test a couple of the LED tubes in my shop first.
I'll do the fixture over a workbench where more light would be a good idea,
but I may not do the main floor space, at least not all of it.

I have the fixtures wired with a dual switch, I can energize either 2
tubes or 4 tubes in all of the fixtures depending upon what I want to
do. I almost always find I don't have enough light.

I don't know what you are replacing, and I'm still learning about LED
replacements, but this is my understanding:

It looks like the bulbs you ordered are 2400 lumens. A 32w 4'ft fluorescent
is about 2850. However, because of the directionality (all down) of the
light from an LED tube, a lower lumen LED may appear to be much brighter
than a higher lumen fluorescent. EarthLED customer service verified that
for me when I spoke to them about the 1800 lumen tubes I ordered. My guess
is that a 2400 lumen bulb would be too bright for where I want to use them. The 1800's haven't arrived yet so I'm not speaking from experience - yet.
We'll see, but that is why I want to test them I buy more. I have areas that
have different lighting needs, so they'll get put to use anyway.

Actually, the lights I ordered are rated 2500Lm @ 6000 Kelvin. The
temperature of the new light is higher than the old lights so these
should allow for good medical care for the horses as well as a nice
bright light for working on projects.

I will let you know how well I like them. I thought the price was
good and there is that great Amazon return policy.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for making me aware these existed
at all, I did not know about them.

As I age, I also understand the importance of task lighting more and more. ;-) I have clip-on lights above the miter saw, band saw, drill press, etc.