Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gfci trips on new furnace

On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 23:54:53 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 23:19:14 -0500,
wrote:

12v would work but the wall wart would be on a GFCI.
Isolation transformers are not a fix for anything in the code.
They still must have a grounded conductor if you use a chapter 3
wiring method on the secondary (unless it is part of a listed
assembly).

The wall wart on a gfci powering the pump won't trip the GFCI
An
isolation transformer constitutes a seperately derived power source
and a "medical grade" isolation trasformer has zero leakage It can be
grounded with no effect on the GFCI because the GFCI compares line to
neutral - it does not measure ground current. The isolation
transformer removes the ground reference from the neutral so there is
no shock danger from either line or neutral (now technically l1 and
l2) and ground

... but a medical isolation transformer is not legal to serve a
receptacle that is not part of a piece of listed medical equipment.
If you read the rules on an SDS, you see one side needs to be
grounded.

So you plug the iso;lation transformer into the GFCI with a grounded
pluf, and then you connect the pump to the isolated secondary,
bridging the ground - assuming the pump has a grounded plug, not a
polarised one.
.
Or some
inspectors will accept a single 15 amp twist-lock outlet - making it a
"dedicated" outlet for a single use. - equivalent to a "hard wired"
device..

Not for the last couple cycles.

Here in ontario they still did a couple years ago

Is the OP in Ontario?
... and it sounds like you are saying the CeC caught up with the NEC.

Why not just fix the friggin pump? If water is getting into the
windings or the wiring compartment the mo fo is broke.

And 90+ percent of them out there ARE "broke". Same with sump pumps.
If I had a house that required a sump pump to keep the basement dry
there is no way in hell I'd have it on a GFCI. One day it WILL trip,
and the water level will rise, causing water damage .

There are plenty of defective refrigerator compressors out there too
that are happily sparking and arcing inside the can but it is still
not legal to avoid GFCI requirements, just because you don't want to
buy a new one.

In Ontario it is - depending where the refrigerator is. Not required
for the refrigerator in my main floor kitchen or in my finished
basement. In fact not even recommended for the refrigerator.

Because my refrigerator and outside outlet are on the same circuit, I
could not use a GFCI breaker and had to install a GFCI outlet in the
weatherproof exterior outlet enclosure. That was a requirement of my
inspector

From ECMWEB:
GFCI protection devices are also required for all 15A and 20A, 125V
receptacles located in garages and grade-level portions of unfinished
or finished accessory buildings used for storage or work areas of a
dwelling unit [210.8(A)(2)]. However, there are a couple of exceptions
to this rule. GFCI protection is not required for receptacles that are
not readily accessible, such as a ceiling-mounted receptacle for a
garage door opener. Nor are they required for a receptacle on a
dedicated branch circuit located and identified for a
cord-and-plug-connected appliance, such as a refrigerator or freezer.

My preference is a house sitting high enough on a well enough drained
area that no sump pump is required - which is what I own now.
I just did some investigating - and in ontario a sump pump does NOT
require a GFCI under certain conditions. The same applies to water
pressure pumps. I can see it also applied to condensate pumps -

as quoted below

Question
Does the Ontario Code require ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)
protection for sump pumps or water pressure system pumps in homes?
Answer
No, the Code does not require GFCI protection of these specific
appliances unless they are supplied by receptacles that happen to be
within 1.5 m (5') of a sink, are installed out of doors and located
within 2.5 m (8' 2") of ground level, or are within 3 m (10') of a
pool or hot tub, or as required by manufacturer installation
instructions.

Rules 26-700, 26-710, 26-714, 68-068.

I have been told a single twist lock ceiling mounted outlet for a sump
pump is allowed without a GFCI

How long ago was that? I can dig through old code books and find a
rule that says it is legal to ground a receptacle to any convenient
cold water pipe but it is not 1975, even if you still have a leisure
suit in the closet.

This was confirmed by an inspector last year when I looked at buying
a house with a sump pump (and a lot of drainage issues which forced me
to pass on an otherwise very desireable house). See the above ecmweb
reference for confirmation.