Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinist Clamp - DIY

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 4:10:35 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 11:16:10 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've got to clamp a think brass strip into a slot on a piece of
aluminum
bar

At first glance, it would seem that a vise with soft jaws would be a
better
way to combine the slot and clamping (for sure, it gets rid of the
upward
protrusions).

Huh? Why or how would a soft jaw vise make any difference? Do you
propose crushing the work piece?

If the work piece is the brass, I was proposing a soft-jaw vise that put
half the
channel onto the fixed jaw, and half onto the moving jaw. It wouldn't
cut the plate
at the same time (is the plate also a workpiece?).

Its all one work piece that must be machined together. Even two of the
three clamping screws are used as retaining screws once it is finished.

becomes a problem. I'm fond of buttress threads, which would help with
that,
but I don't know of any off-the-shelf support for making them.

I could make a turning tool and/or a thread milling tool to cut them, but
thats a bit of overkill.