Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Lap top battery Longevity

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:24:19 +0000, john west
wrote:

There's a lot of information about that if you keep a Laptop battery
charged between only 80% full and only 40% full, it will be servicable
over the years for four times as long.

Other information I find says it is the charging and discharging that
wears the battery out.

The laptop i have (with a built in battery) is mainly used in one room,
so it is easy to keep it plugged in *all the time* to mains electricity.

Would it be better to prolong the life of the battery to keep it plugged
in all the time or to go for the 80% - 40% option. Thanks.

My wife's Samsung netbook has a setting for battery conservation which
is 80%. If we are travelling we reset this to 100% but at home it is
back to 80%. This is an early 2012 purchase and without specific
testing the battery appears fine.

For my main Lenovo laptop (2007) I have two batteries. The original
and now basically defunct battery is in all the time, it just about
has enough juice to shut down on no power. The other I only use if
I'm about to travel.

I've taken the battery out of an occasionally used laptop which
essentially makes it no different to a normal desktop computer as far
as power is concerned.

--
AnthonyL