Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default (OT Comment) Cars

"MrCheerful" wrote in message
On 09/12/2016 09:42, Rod Speed wrote:

"MrCheerful" wrote in message
On 09/12/16 10:05, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 03/12/2016 14:19, Huge wrote:
On 2016-12-03, DerbyBorn wrote:
On simple change that must have had a big impact on the rust-free
life of a
car must be plastic inner wing liners.
When you see what they are it really makes you wonder why it took so
long
for them to become common place.

Because car manufacturers don't want cars to last longer.

I reckon garage labour rates and parts prices kill off cars now,
rather
than terminal rust.

In the end they amount they the same thing.Rst is fiaxable, at a price
just like anything elsse.

My recently traded in 10 year old Leon, which was
overall quite tidy, fetched £1500. A turbo failure would swallow up an
awful lot of that value. Add on a service, a set of tyres and it
starts
to look uneconomical in some ways. I'm not saying I wouldn't spend a
good propotion of a car's value in order to keep an otherwise known
car,
but plenty wouldn't.

If you like the car....

however there's another aspect. Cars that are worth more broken than as
a whole. Take those alloys off, get them re coated and flog em for a
grand, with halfway decent tyres on.

That back seat? The one you never used? there s a family out there with
spilt dogsick all over their's... couple of hundred for one in good
nick....

Does the ECU still work? Good, mine doesn't...I'll have that for
£150..and the MAF sensor as well for £25...and blimey, that's a rear
door in the same color as mine where someone reversed into it at
Tescos.
So that's another £100...

Yet scrap yards just tear out the high value metal bits and the rest
goes in the granulator.

Plenty dont.

It must vary, I am finding it quite difficult to find real scrapyards in
my area, most sell up and get houses built on the land. Best source I
find nowadays is ebay.

Yeah, I have used both myself. Not surprising that some choose to
operate where the land is cheaper and use ebay to get the stuff to
those who want it.