Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_15_] Muggles[_15_] is offline

Default OT Political We were all wrong actually.

On 12/8/2016 6:38 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/08/2016 08:55 AM, philo wrote:

I mentioned that Gingrich made a post that I did not like.
Rather than get to the heart of it, some here mentioned that he made two
Tweets yesterday. In re-checking I see we were all wrong, he made a sum
total of three Tweets on Dec. 7th.

I will cut and paste here in correct order:

----start of cut and paste----

December 7 is a good day to remember that the world is dangerous and
shattering surprise is possible even when we have been warned.

75 years ago the Japanese displayed professional brilliance and
technological power launching surprises from Hawaii to the Philippines

Japanese planning and trainng let them also carry out surprise attacks
in Hong Kong and Malaysia.It was widest surprise attack in history

---end of cut and paste----

I think Gingrich summed up the essence of what he was wanting to say
with his last sentence. "It was the widest surprise attack in history".

Because the grammaticality of his statements is poor and there is one
mis-spelling, it's obvious that he wrote them in a hurry and did not
think things through.

He's human just like the rest of us.

For some dummy like me to post something like that on Usenet is one
thing...but for a public figure to do so is something else. Because
"training" is spelled wrong, it seems he does not even grasp the
fundamentals of a simple spell checker.

The thing is, we tend to forget that people in the public eye are still
just men or women.

Conspicuously absent is any tribute to the American military and the
sacrifices they made for our freedom. Equally troubling was heaping
praise on the Japanese for their brilliance. I've made enough previous
comments so there is no need for me to elaborate.

I don't understand why he would have to say that. Pearl Harbor was all
about how the Japanese effort to invade the US via Hawaii. Our military
were taken by surprise, and while they made extreme sacrifices, our
military didn't have a brilliant moment in history on that day.

Gingrich wasn't wrong. It just wasn't politically or socially correct to
say because everyone else was talking about the horrors of how our Navy
was attacked. I don't think he dissed the US because he didn't praise
the US. I think he was just making a point about how the Japanese
painstakingly planned and set out to achieve a military victory.

It's important, I think, to understand the sort of resolve it takes for
countries to invade other countries. We need to have an even greater
resolve so we can plan ahead to stop such things from happening, imo,
and if we can't recognize how the Japanese achieved what they saw as a
successful plan of attack, how will we be able to learn from it?

[...]
--
Maggie