Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_6_] John B.[_6_] is offline

Default Gas tank rust

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 15:11:55 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tue, 21 May 2002 18:25:22 -0500, "Ronald Thompson"
wrote:
I just repaired an old gas tank on a ford van.....

So far, so good. Does anyone know what I can use to dissipate
the remaining water? I thought of rubbing alcohol, but IIRC it
has a high water content to start with. Any ideas?

Around here (Southern Ontario) the srug stores sell 99% Isopropyl
alcohol as "Rubbing Alcohol," which should do it nicely. The the
70% alcohol / 30% water mix is called "Rubbing Alcohol Compound."

I'm definitely not a chemist, but the presence of alcohol usually accompanies corrosion.

"The alcohol attracts water, leading to increased corrosion in metal gas tanks". (its a quote commonly found on the internet)

They used to sell some stuff called "dry gas" to remove water from
automotive fuel tanks. It was simply alcohol. The alcohol mixes with
the water which makes a combustible mixture and is burned by the
engine. In fact the gasoline/alcohol fuel blends will absorb some
water normally.
--
cheers,

John B.