Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] bruce2bowser@gmail.com is offline

Default Gas tank rust

On Tue, 21 May 2002 18:25:22 -0500, "Ronald Thompson"
wrote:
I just repaired an old gas tank on a ford van.....

So far, so good. Does anyone know what I can use to dissipate
the remaining water? I thought of rubbing alcohol, but IIRC it
has a high water content to start with. Any ideas?

Around here (Southern Ontario) the srug stores sell 99% Isopropyl
alcohol as "Rubbing Alcohol," which should do it nicely. The the
70% alcohol / 30% water mix is called "Rubbing Alcohol Compound."

I'm definitely not a chemist, but the presence of alcohol usually accompanies corrosion.

"The alcohol attracts water, leading to increased corrosion in metal gas tanks". (its a quote commonly found on the internet)