Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Filling Oilers

I've got four machines with automatic oilers now. One pneumatic (with an
electric timer and a solenoid air valve) and three electric. The all have a
fine filter screen under the fill cover. Its a pretty fine screen which I
appreciate. The problem is it takes a long time to fill. As a result I
usually don't fill them until the low oil warning sounds off. I have a
couple squeeze bottles that work ok, but it takes a while. Basically I sit
down on the floor behind the machine and squeeze in a slow stream of oil. If
I get in a hurry it over fills. I've been trying to think of something a
little more efficent than sitting on the floor in the shop filling oilers
every morning. It takes a while to fill all four machines. On top of that
three of the machines have air tool oilers that could stand to be topped off
about every 2-3 days.

Getting back to the machine oilers. I was thinking that maybe I could make
a small bottle reservoir with an air vent tube, and drain tube and a valve
that I could put some oil in, hang it on the side of the machine, run a hose
into the machine oiler, and open the valve to a good position to get the
right fill rate so it doesn't over flow. Then instead of sitting there
squeezing oil into the oiler I could open up the air tool oiler and top it
off while the main oiler is filling.

Ideas? I know. I know. Hire an apprentice and make him do it. LOL. The
thing is I really only know how to do the limited area that I do. I
wouldn't feel right apprenticing somebody... and I kinda want to keep my one
man shop a one man shop.