Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinist Clamp - DIY

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
I've got to clamp a think brass strip into a slot on a piece of aluminum
bar prior to finish machining the project. Machinists clamps would work
except that the screws either hiot the table or stick up to far and the
mill head would run into them.

Temporarily replace the screws with shorter ones?

Actually that's one of the plans for the new clamps. Set them up using a
common size screw like 1/4-28 so I can easily change screws for the
appication. I have no issue with keeping a hex key handy for snugging them
up. I buy 1/8, 5/32, and 3/16 short arm hex keys by the box so I can
include them as needed with custom molds. At any given time there are a
half dozen of them on the assembly bench.

The machinist clamps I have might work (well one would, the other is not
long enough) for this particular mold, but they won't work for others that
need a longer reach or that might have multiple slide bars. One of the
things I wanted to do also was make the upper jaw with a half cylinder on
the bottom of the top jaw so force could be more easily localized directly
on the brass slide bar.

A basic clamp sketch.
http://tacklemaker.info/index.php?ac...sa=view;pic=24