Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinist Clamp - DIY

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
I've got to clamp a think brass strip into a slot on a piece of
aluminum bar prior to finish machining the project. Machinists
clamps would work except that the screws either hiot the table or
stick up to far and the mill head would run into them.

Temporarily replace the screws with shorter ones?

You can make thumb screws from common pan heads by running a brass
knurled nut or several hex nuts up against the head.

The fancier knobs I make for the sheet metal screws on my chimney that
I remove to clean it are knurled 1/2" aluminum rod, counterbored for
the head and covered with red heatshrink so I can find them if dropped
in the snow.
--jsw